Written By Minnafropolis, Hope JamesContinue reading Back to Basics: Cooking with Black-Owned spices “Fulbe Fresh” as a Lifestyle
Welcome to another food recipe and I am happy to share this new recipe.
6 cups of Palm extract or Ghana Best Palm fruit paste
5 cups of rice
Cooked Tomato paste (onions, pepper, red paprika )
Turkey stock (you choose any other meat)
1 tsp salt
2 Knorr cubes
Onga seasoning (optional)
2 tsp Grounded crayfish (optional)
- ) In a pan or pot, add vegetable oil let it heat for approximately 3 mins.
- ) Add onions to heat for 2 mins and add the tomato paste that you already cooked .
- )Stir it for approximately 5 mins and then add your grilled turkey or whatever meat of your choice. Continuously stir until you are satisfied. Then remove it.
- ) In the same tomato sauce, add your palm nut paste (also known as Banga) and stir it . Add water and carefully stir to mix everything.
- ) Add your grounded crayfish, 1/2 tsp salt (taste it and add more if needed), add more chopped onions, add calabash nutmeg, add onga, 1/2 cube of knorr and pepper. Remember as your add each ingredient continuously stir to mix them well.
- ) In this video, the rice was NOT parboiled. Rinse the rice and added it directly into the cooking Banga sauce. Pour in the turkey stock. Allow it to cook for at least 20 mins (depending on the type of rice you may need to moderate how long you allow it to cook). Cover the pot so it can cook well. Check periodically to make sure it soft enough and add little water if needed.
- ) Now add the chopped mint leave (or scent leave if you have one available ) .
- ) Let it cook for approximately 5-10 mins and stir it carefully .
Now your Banga Rice ready! Let’s eat!
You can eat with anything .
A little history, plantain pepper is mainly found in the capital of Calabar, Nigeria . I actually learned this recipe from my mother (shout out to her ) and she learned it from her elder sister that went to serve as a National Youth Service Corps (NYSE) at Cross River state in Nigeria . Most of my recipe have been passed on from generation to generation now to me The Millennial Food Enthusiast.
Let’s Cook !
2 Blended Pepper (with food blender)
2 unblended pepper
Dry grounded crayfish
1 1/2Blended onions
2 unblended onions
Knorr / Maggi
Chop your plantain into smaller sizes and rinse it .
Blend pepper, ground your crayfish, blend 1 1/2 onions
Chop your spinach into smaller sizes.
Add water into a pot, pour your plantain into the pot and add everything on line 2 above.
Add salt and Knorr/maggi . Leave it to cook for 15 mins-20 mins (or to what you prefer) . Note: Plantain cooks really quick. Also always taste the food as you add each ingredient .
In a separate pan/pot : add the fish, add 1/2 chopped onions and pepper. Add 1/2 tsp of salt (FYI add to your taste ), curry, Maggi/Knorr and taste to make sure it take good.
Cook the fish for 5 mins (or 10 mins your preference).
In a fuel paper, place you fish, add 1/2 salt , 1/2 cube of knorr/maggi, curry and wrap the fuel place.
Place the fish in the oven for 20 minute or more at a temperate of 350 degree Fahrenheit ( 180 degree celsius) .
Back to the pepper soup : add green beans once it is soft enough to your taste. Leave to cook a little for 5 mins .
Dish out your food .
Now Let’s eat !
Another recipe video just dropped.
Enjoy the Black soup recipe ! Black soup comes from Nigeria , mostly cooked in some part of Delta and Edo state.
Subscribe to the youtube channel so you get the latest video too.
- 1 bag of spinach from Walmart (or bitter leaves )
- 1 pack mint leaves ( Efinrin or basil )
- Alligator pepper
- Calabash pepper
- Cow Meat
- Shaki and Abodi
- 1 big piece of stock fish
- Smoked fish
- 3 pieces of Hot pepper (or ata rodo )
- Knorr cubes
- Ghana best palm nut cream
- Rinse spinach and mint leaves. In a separate pot put the cow meat, shaki and abodi. Add salt, knorr cubes and other seasoning you desire. Add enough water for the meat to cook for approximately 15-20 mins.
- Blend onions , alligator pepper and calabash pepper. In the boiling pot with meat add the blended onions , alligator and calabash pepper. You can add your crayfish but this optional.
- Put the fresh fish in the oven to smoke or dry it up to your desire.
- Add the Ghana best palm nut cream to the cooking pot. Let it cook for 3-5 mins.
- Add the blended spinach, mint leaves, hot pepper , and onions. Then add it to the cooking pot and mix it together. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Break the smoked fish into smaller pieces and add it to the cooking pot
- Let the soup cook for another 5 minutes and serve it whatever you like.
Yam is my favorite food. Give me anything made out of yam, I will eat it. Yam stick are very easy to make and you can eat it with any sauce of your choice. Anyone can eat yam sticks -Adults and children. My guess is that kids are going to enjoy the crunchy bit. While adults will enjoy it like it’s soul food.
Let’s Eat !
- 1 Tuber Yam
- 1 Knorr
- 1 Onion
- Cut your tuber of yam into half. Keep one half for a later day.
- Cut yam into tiny circular portion and peel the back/sides away.
- Dice the yam into thin long sticks. Good luck eye-balling it . Lol !
- Rinse in water and add salt
- Pour vegetable oil into a fry-pan , allow it to heat for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the yam stick into the heated oil. Leave it for at at least 15-20 minutes or whatever you prefer.
- Take them out and they are ready to eat with any sauce.
Vegetable Sauce with Shrimps
- Rinse your spinach, Broccoli, pepper and ginger in water.
- Slice your onion , ginger , pepper , broccoli and spinach into smaller sizes.
- Pour little bit (use the eye-ball rule) of vegetable oil into a saucepan and allow it to heat up for 3-5 mins.
- Put the onion first , then followed by the ginger and allow them heat up for 3 mins.
- Add your spinach and broccoli and leave them for 5 minutes.
- Add your pepper , Knorr, little salt and stir everything together.
- Add little bit of water and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Leave to cook for at least 5-10 minutes.
Yam sticks and Vegetable Sauce is ready !!!!! Yum-Yum .
Thanks for watching : Subscribe to Minnafropolis YouTube Channel.
The weather in Minnesota (MN) is finally HOT ! It hard to distinguish between spring and summer right now. You know I leave in a state that has a SHADY weather with extra ATTITUDE. Lol !!! When it is cold here, it is extremely cold . And when it is hot , it is steaming HOTPOLIS. I just made up that word just now in my head . Today, I want to share my latest recipe – Chicken Gizzard. As a college student, I make this a lot because it saves me time and energy.
What is a Chicken Gizzard ?
Chicken Gizzard is an organ found in the digestive tract of some animals like chicken, turkey, fish and so on. In biology, it is referred as the gastric mill, ventriculus and gigerium. This is an area in the thick muscular walls under for breaking down food.
Chicken Gizzard is my number one go to during the summer season. It is quick to prepare and you can enjoy it with a cold drink . It can be served with white rice or mashed potatoes or yam. It is so nutritious and very tasty because of the rich meaty flavor sauce.
- 500 g Chicken Gizzard (there might be less (g) in the market, I do not know ).
- 1/2 or 1 Habanero Pepper
- 1 or 2 Medium Onions
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- knor OR Maggi
- Vegetable Oil
- Toothpick to serve
- Trim the excess fat and gristle from the gizzard
- Wash your gizzard properly and pour it into a pot.
- Add 1 medium size of sliced onions . Then season with 1/2 pepper, salt , thyme, and curry.
- Cover the pot to let it cook for 20 mins or to the preferred texture (softer) you desire.
- Pour the cooked gizzard out into a sieve to drain away the liquid stock.
- Pour vegetable oil into a smaller pot/saucepan . Heat the oil for 3-5 mins and then add onions to heat for another 3 mins.
- Add the cooked gizzard into the steamed oil. Stir it for 3 mins or more.
- Add the sliced green bell pepper and red bell pepper .
- Mix everything together until you are satisfied with the texture (some people like it more brown) you desire. Then turn off your stove.
- Serve with a Toothpick
This is my first food video on YouTube so bear with me . I shoot this video in my school dorm.